This course teaches students to use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator, professional graphics applications, for the creation and editing of website graphics. Students will learn the basic and advanced tools in Photoshop and Illustrator. Students also create vector and bitmap graphics. Techniques for efficiency such layers, selections and masks are practiced throughout the course. Students learn to create eye-catching text, simple and complex logos, basic animations and several methods for photo retouching and manipulation.
RATIONALE OF COURSE
Professional-looking web pages require quality graphics. Understanding HTML and the use of a WYSIWYG authoring application is not enough to produce commercial-quality, aesthetic web sites. Learning to create and edit custom-made graphics is critical for professional web design. The quality of website graphics greatly enhances the user experience and will produce a memorable experience that will lead to return visits. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are graphics applications designed to enhance the creativity of web designers.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Discern between vector and raster graphics and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each kind of graphic in a web page.
- Identify where royalty-free and professional-grade stock images can be found on the Web.
- Explain legal and copyright issues with regard to the use of web site graphics.
- Choose the appropriate graphic format, gif, jpg, or png, given the characteristics and purpose of the graphic in the web page.
- Create appropriate background graphics for a web page.
- Create animated gifs using the Fireworks Frames panel and the Tween Instances command.
- Export a graphic for specific use in a Web site, correctly handling dithering, color depth, transparency, and size.
- Create graphic-based text, appropriately choosing between anti-aliasing or no anti-aliasing.
- Use advanced Fireworks tools and techniques including masking, filters, and paths.
- Use Fireworks symbols and libraries for consistency and efficiency.
- Create navigation bars and rollover buttons using the Fireworks slicing tools and the Button Editor.