In this lesson we take a look at what application program interfaces are and how we use them to connect multiple applications/websites together. We learn about REST API Calls, used to communicate information requested by the calls as well as a popular format in which the data is returned from the REST API called JSON. We discuss how these tools increase business opportunities and position system to integrate more easily.
Action Items to Complete –
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY – THESE DIRECTIONS ARE VERY DIFFERENT FROM PREVIOUS LESSONS
- On your WordPress Website install the “ACF to REST API” WordPress Plugin.
- Review the video “inside out – STEP 018 | Connecting Sites & Sharing Data”.
This video does not walk you step by step through completing each page. It informs you with information about what the code does and how it works. The goal is that through watching the video you gleam enough to successfully copy and paste the code from the change log and apply it to your site.
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 00:10 – step-017 recap and intro to api
- 00:40 – discuss what an api is
- 01:20 – discuss rest api
- 03:16 – lesson overview
- 06:27 – discuss api json results
- 10:19 – discuss event listners
- 13:28 – discuss variables
- 41:16 – discuss style and sort
- 44:01 – look at loader style
- 48:11 – variable discussion in class
- Push all the files you have created to your server and review that your work is error free and aligns to the completed work in these videos.
- Submit the url to your website once you have validated your work and are confident you have completed everything. Your page should look like the one you see when you go here: https://step-018.inside-out-project.com